Mig33 Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mig33 in view of steven goh!!

+4
darkslayer_x
msilmy
Giga
riz
8 posters

Go down

mig33 in view of steven goh!! Empty mig33 in view of steven goh!!

Post by riz Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:12 am

guys and girls,

the following comments written by steven goh,the CEO of mig33. hope it helps get to know some unknown history of mig33:)

mig33 ..

mig33 is a lot of fun.

Over 7m users across hundreds of countries, 160,000 chatrooms, 30m messages a day (almost all in our own platform), dozens of community bulletin boards (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mig33+phpbb) is a pretty cool thing. On the world’s biggest website for mobile content, more people search form mig33 than games, s*x and msn (http://www.getjar.net/site/topsearch).

Getting here hasn’t been easy. We’re not a standard internet company. We’re focussed on finding success in a new world. The shift in computing power from the desktop to the mobile, the rise of the application environment on the phone, and the decline of walled gardens (giving rise to greater customer choice) has given us the opportunity to build something truly unique. This also isn’t a typical internet company funded by the promise of online advertising revenues. We’re very realistic about what it’s going to take build out the services to support tens of millions of users.

To that end, we sort to find the right shareholders who could help us make mig33 everything it can be.

After a year of proving the basic business up (building a community, demonstrate monetisation potential, etc) and with the active involvement of some of our shareholders, we were able to secure some top Venture Capital firms - Accel , Redpoint and TVP.

Working with them, we’ve moved the company from Australia to Silicon Valley, built out a customer service and operations centre in Malaysia, and a development centre in Nanjing, China. We’ve been built up the Team with people like Francis Yu and others.

The last few months have been pretty hot. 2008 is only going to get better.
After Sanford … Project Goth, X-TXT and mig33

I think that doing mig33 was a surprise to a lot of people but not my closest friends.

After 7 years of Sanford, I was ready for something new.

mig33 in view of steven goh!! Dsc00212

From our staff conference. I’m the fat dude with the white t-shirt on the left. Mei Lin’s wearing the yellow t-shirt and is the second person to the right of me.

mig33 in view of steven goh!! Dsc00111

Team presenting their ideas at the staff conference

mig33 in view of steven goh!! Dsc00214

I’ve long since come to the conclusion that I’m completely unemployable in any other role than entrepreneur and/or board member. Sanford taught me many things (personally and professionally) about having a truly great startup experience and making it a success. It’s a pleasure to have seen it continue as a profitable brand to its new shareholders long after i was gone.

Sanford’s Big Day OutTeam PresentingPresenting the Integrated Plan

Limitations

The three key limitations with Sanford though were in my mind, threefold: capital strategy, choosing a business with some global scale, and personal.

On the capital front, getting the right sophisticated shareholders on board who could help build the business was a problem. We didn’t do so until late into the piece and after the shareholder register was as fragmented and unstable as it was.

On global scale, I was forever envious of peers in other countries who were able to attract better company valuations in spite of their smaller size but with the prospect addressing a larger market. We did try very hard to internationalise the business, but the Securities industry around the world is notorious for creating low scale suppliers to each of their markets as a result of local regulation.

And on a personal basis, at times I let the business overwhelm me. I’d failed to surround myself with management, board members and shareholders who could help me grow and make the company everything it could be. A real turning point was putting myself through executive coaching and taking Clive Hall on board as Chairman. The combination of both helped me grow as a person and meet all the challenges that one of the worst Bear markets would bring. It was with much sadness and regret that I overlooked my personal life in this period and my marriage to Yien (wonderful person that she is), failed.

In spite of all of the above, I think the company was a real success. We’d won countless awards, appeared in the media over a thousand times, and were consistently ranked highest by customer satisfaction by AC Neilson Consult. When it was acquired by IWL in 2003, it was the second largest online broker in Australia and was 20% larger than E*Trade Australia by revenues and daily contract notes, and with our Virtual Broker service had a substantially larger customer reach.

Project Goth Pty Ltd, X-TXT and mig33

mig33 in view of steven goh!! Dsc01312mig33 in view of steven goh!! Dsc01412
mig33 in view of steven goh!! Dsc01313mig33 in view of steven goh!! Dsc01413
So in 2003, I was kicking around the State Library researching the next business.

Mei Lin Ng (marketing manager at Sanford), reached out to me and we brainstormed a few ideas. The rise of the application environment on phones and the decay of the walled garden. Mobile telephony was (and in many cases still is) very expensive. In 2003, the CEO of NIKE proclaimed NOKIA as a major competitor. Sales of Chocolates and Confectionary in the UK had fallen for the first time in decades. And I saw a report in the UK that smoking and drug use had fallen. All as a result of mobile phone expenditure crowding out other vices (shoes, chocolates, cigarettes).

So in the early hours of some weekday in August 2003, Mei Lin blessed the company with the name Project Goth Pty Ltd. We are not into dressing up in black and running around parks scaring young children. She was an avid fan of the SIMs and the first family in that name was the ‘Goth’ family. So that is where the name came from. And the first product was X-TXT and was launched in early 2004.

X-TXT was about GPRS chat and cheap SMS. It was a product very similar to Cellity and Tex2. After several months and a bucket of cash in marketing, it was pretty clear it wasn’t going anywhere. We had all of 3,500 registered users and only a couple of dozen active ones. But we did have a lot of feedback about what customers did want and we’d learnt a lot about what it was going to take to have a success in the independent mobile world.

So in early 2005, we scrapped X-TXT, rebuilt the management and development team, and started working on mig33.

We launched mig33 in December 2005.

- Steven Goh

(source : steven goh's blog )

Last edited by Riz_Sydney on Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:37 am; edited 2 times in total
riz
riz
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 1502
mig33 username : riz_sydney
Registration date : 2007-03-20

Back to top Go down

mig33 in view of steven goh!! Empty Re: mig33 in view of steven goh!!

Post by Giga Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:24 am

Wow! Shocked

Congratulations Steven! :dd

And Mig33! :bravo:

Thanks for the Share Riz! mig33 in view of steven goh!! 602669
Giga
Giga
VIP member
VIP member

Male
Number of posts : 1140
mig33 username : nigahiga-dwls-fm
I\'m from : mig33 in view of steven goh!! Flag
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by msilmy Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:07 am

It's a gr8 experience

awesome article & pics
very nice
msilmy
msilmy
V.I.P

Male
Number of posts : 1458
mig33 username : msilmy
Registration date : 2007-10-01

http://www.mig33friends.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:20 am

wow!!! its just awesome....thanks riz Smile

i wish all the best so that mig33 goes a far way!

i will be happy if i can contribute for it Wink
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by darkslayer_x Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:43 am

WOW!!!
That is so long.. and yet informative..

And whew!
i read it in one single breath..

Where can we find his blog?
I wanna learn more about him
 :lov3:
darkslayer_x
darkslayer_x

Male
Number of posts : 714
mig33 username : darkslayer_x
Registration date : 2008-06-13

http://www.geocities.com/lordamit91

Back to top Go down

Post by dadutum Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:11 am

thankz riz bro for sharing these information.well i like to know more about it...
dadutum
dadutum
Valued Member
Valued Member

Male
Number of posts : 382
mig33 username : dadutum
Referrer : my_rulzz
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by anthromorphic Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:27 am

well. thats amazing.. i liked the frank atmosphere in the pictures
anthromorphic
anthromorphic
Devoted Member
Devoted Member

Male
Number of posts : 518
mig33 username : Anthromorphic
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by luv.inspecta Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:53 am

very nice topic ...
thanks for informing riz ...  :yupp:
luv.inspecta
luv.inspecta
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Male
Number of posts : 1642
mig33 username : luv.inspecta
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by getmywishes Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:09 am

nice one riz Smile keep sharing study
getmywishes
getmywishes
Valued Member
Valued Member

Male
Number of posts : 386
mig33 username : getmywishes
Referrer : miss_jaguar
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down