Mig33 Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rafa's made me a great - gerrad

3 posters

Go down

Rafa's made me a great - gerrad Empty Rafa's made me a great - gerrad

Post by true_frnd Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:54 am

Rafa's made me a great - gerrad Gerrar10
RAF 'N READY ... boss Rafa Benitez with his Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard

[b]STEVEN GERRARD insists Rafa Benitez’s all-change policy helped turn him into one of the world’s greats.
[/b]

And that will finally put the boot into the cynics who have hammered the Liverpool chief for playing his skipper in more positions than the Kama Sutra.

Over the past two years Benitez has come under heavy fire for switching Gerrard’s role.

The Reds captain has been used in every role across the midfield, as well as a second striker just behind Fernando Torres.

He was even an emergency right-back during extra-time of their Champions League triumph of 2005.

That led to accusations Benitez was failing to get the best out of arguably England’s finest midfielder — claims that have now been blown away by Gerrard himself.

The Kop star said: “OK, he has played me in different positions.

“But I feel a lot more comfortable now in that I can play almost anywhere on the pitch.

“Rafa has taken my game to the next level. I feel since he’s been here my game has come on in leaps and bounds — he’s certainly improved me as a player.

“There are some games when I have to change my style of play.

“If it is a big game, for example, I realise that I can’t just be bombing into the box all the time.

“There are times when I have to be a bit more disciplined. We’ll have to wait and see where I’ll play for the majority of the season.

“But I know I can fit into a number of positions and do a job for the team.”

Gerrard also revealed how the Spanish manager is such a stickler for perfection that he picks everyone up on the slightest mistake — and that is just the way he likes it.

He added: “I’d prefer to have a manager like Rafa who will tell me where I’m going wrong and where I need to readjust slightly.

“I have played for managers who perhaps won’t pull you on the things you’re doing wrong.

“That’s not going to get you anywhere, is it? But he’s the kind of manager who doesn’t let anything go.”

Last season Gerrard was used to great effect as a second striker behind Torres, bagging 21 goals.

This time he has largely played in central midfield following Robbie Keane’s arrival — yet he is ready and willing to push forward once more as soon as he gets the nod.

Gerrard admitted: “I enjoyed playing in that role. The manager knows if there are ever any injuries or he simply wants to stick me up there again, I can play it.

“Torres was running riot last season, causing defenders all sorts of problems.

“While they were worrying about him, I was sneaking in and nicking a few goals. There’s no doubt Fernando has certainly helped me.

“I was really pleased with my goals tally last season and would be delighted to emulate it again this time.

“I don’t really set myself a goals target as such but if you look at the way I play, as an attacking midfielder or in behind Fernando, I’d be expecting to get 15 or so a season.

“Nowadays, the game has gone to the next level.

It used to be double figures for a central midfielder but I think Paul Scholes and Frank Lampard raised the bar to more like 15 or 20.”
true_frnd
true_frnd

Male
Number of posts : 169
mig33 username : true_frnd
Referrer : through internet
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Rafa's made me a great - gerrad Empty Re: Rafa's made me a great - gerrad

Post by Mysterious_Stranger Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:41 pm

owh........i m really sleepy now.....so i will read this lil article later on bounce
Mysterious_Stranger
Mysterious_Stranger
VIP member
VIP member

Female
Number of posts : 1493
mig33 username : rong_dhonu
Referrer : fire_me
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Rafa's made me a great - gerrad Empty Re: Rafa's made me a great - gerrad

Post by tears_of_cry Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:10 am