Mig33 Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kandy Perahera Sri lanka

2 posters

Go down

83 Kandy Perahera Sri lanka

Post by Kanishka_max Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:28 pm

Hello my friends,
I'm here to represent the proud heritage of my country.
Kandy Perahera Sri lanka Card-perahera

Kandy Perahera(Esala Perahera) is a major cultural festival in sri lanka.

As the August moon waxes the town of Kandy is taken over by an event that has been happening every year since about 300 AD. It’s the week-long pageant known as the Perahera (parade) which is performed to invoke the blessings and give thanks to the gods for the rains that will help grow the crops, fertility and good health.

One of the biggest Buddhist celebrations of the year, the annual Esala Perahera is a religious ceremony during which devotees pray for good rains to cultivate the crops. One of Buddhism's most sacred relics, the Sacred Tooth is taken from the Temple of the Tooth and paraded through the streets. Following this, more festive events take centre stage and visitors can expect to see a lively cast of dancers, jugglers and fire-breathers milling amongst the crowds.

This festival is a synthesis of Buddhist and Hindu beliefs. The procession includes brilliantly-decorated elephants, fire-juggling acrobats, traditional dancers and musicians, colourful banners and palanquins, whip crackers, torch bearers and thousands of barefoot pilgrims and swordsmen.

Kandy Perahera Sri lanka Kandy-Perahera04

Kandy Perahera Sri lanka Kandy-perehera

Kandy Perahera Sri lanka KandyPerahera Kandy Perahera Sri lanka Kandy-Perahera
Kanishka_max
Kanishka_max

Male
Number of posts : 261
mig33 username : kanishka_max
Registration date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

83 Re: Kandy Perahera Sri lanka

Post by getmywishes Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:59 pm